If you are packing away your shorts and flip-flops, it’s also time to update your skincare routine to match the changing weather. A change of season typically means a change in the way skin behaves. The cooler, windy weather of Fall coupled with the drying effects of heated air, mean we need to treat our skin differently to avoid dryness, breakouts, and lackluster skin. Fall is the season to focus on renewing, moisturizing, and protecting. With a few simple updates, you can have glowing skin in the Fall and Winter too!
- Exfoliate with an oil-based scrub - Exfoliating is imperative for repairing and brightening the complexion. Use an oil-based exfoliator to even skin discoloration (such as sun spots and acne scars), remove dull, tired, dry skin and encourage fresher, plumper cells to form. Exfoliating occasionally will give your skin a flawless finish. For the face use a gentle exfoliator 1-2x per week. Avoid those plastic micro-beads, and look for an oil-based exfoliator with jojoba esters, such as Beautycounter’s Nourishing Cream Exfoliator. It’s okay to exfoliate your body more often than your face. I love brown sugar scrubs for my body, especially one like this that’s in a mineral-rich blend of oils.
- Ditch the soap - Choose a creamier cleanser for your face and body. For the face, I love a cleanser that does everything and is safe for my skin, my body, and the environment. I use the Nourishing Cream Cleanser because it’s lightweight yet deeply moisturizing, and contains witch hazel to tone skin, and coconut oil and aloe to help hydrate. (Even if you have oily skin, your skin will benefit and become less oily by using an oil based cleanser.) For my body, I rely on a body wash that is rich in marula and mongongo oils, ingredients that help soften and protect skin while sealing in moisture. My skin has never felt so soft!
- Turn up your moisturizer - Switching from a lotion to a cream for the colder months is critical to focus on repairing from the effects of the harsh summer sun, moisturizing, and protecting against environmental toxins and the drying weather. In the same way that your body craves different foods in the different seasons, so does your skin. On my face I use the Nourishing Cream (AM) , Rejuvenating Night Cream (PM), and I lather my body in mongongo oil by using the Enrich Body Butter. This is the only product that has helped my husband’s winter-time itchy legs.
- Protect your lips - When you are out in the elements, keep your lips nourished and protected. I recommend this long-lasting, shea butter-and-avocado-oil-packed, hydrating powerhouse, because it works super well under lipstick too. Must be why Glamour named it Best Natural Beauty Product of 2016! Order here.
- Help your hands - My guess is that your hands are always helping others. Give them some love too. Use gentle cleanser and moisturizers during the day, and also treat them to overnight treatments regularly. I recommend this hand wash and cream. Our powerhouse product, Beautycounter’s Cleansing Balm, is a winner, not only for the face, but for your hands too! It’s a great overnight treatment (face and hands, plus it works great on my cuticles!) Plus, it’s on sale through September!!