... and still eat the candy
(for kids and adults)
Let’s be real. Who doesn’t want to dip into the Halloween candy? But none of us want the negative consequences of disrupted sleep, irritability, sugar cravings or addiction, immediate wrinkles and skin changes, belly fat, compromised immune function, and so much more. In fact, I’ve discovered the long list of side effects outweighs the momentary tastebud satisfaction. Yet, today I was looking for reasons to reach for the stash of Halloween candy my kids have collected this month from every. single. event.
When I eat sugar, I know it’s taking a toll, so I like to give my immune system a burst, balance my blood sugar levels, and help my skin.
2 Ways to Boost Immune System
- Eat an extra serving or two of green vegetables.
- Supplementation: Vit D, Probiotics, elderberry syrup (no sugar added)
2 Ways to Balance Blood Sugar Levels
- Eat a diet rich in low-glycemic foods.
- Pair high sugar intake with healthy fats (nuts, avocado, coconut fats, seeds) and protein to keep blood sugar levels from swinging.
2 Ways to Help My Skin
- Drink extra, extra water to counterbalance sugar’s pruning effects and to hasten its exit
- Use a charcoal-based skincare product to draw out the toxins. Choose one that has a moisturizing component, so as not to further dehydrate your skin from sugar’s pruning effects. My recommendation is Beautycounter’s Charcoal Cleansing Bar and Charcoal Purifying Mask.